[Media Release] TAB: Digital Performances
Anna Marie Faulkner, JCA
JCA ARTS MARKETING LAUNCHES NEW STUDY
TRENDS IN AUDIENCE BEHAVIOR: DIGITAL PERFORMANCES
November 5, 2020 – JCA Arts Marketing, a division of JCA, the first and largest independent consulting firm dedicated solely to the technical and operational needs of nonprofits, recently released a new study on Trends in Audience Behavior: Digital Performances. The study focuses on digital audience behavior using data from performing arts organizations who were early to foray into streamed online performances during the COVID-19 pandemic (April-September, 2020).
The study provides insights on the buying behavior of digital audiences. Key findings include:
- With 43% of the audience being new, digital performances have great potential for audience development.
- Digital audience members who had previously attended in-person are some of the organization’s most loyal patrons—and they pay a higher digital ticket price.
- Digital performances have larger reach, and revenue potential, when they’re available over multiple dates.
- Audiences for digital performances book their tickets closer to the performance date than in-person audiences.
- 10% of digital audiences add a donation on top of the ticket price—most added donations were $10 or less.
“With so many arts organizations struggling to survive, we are pleased to provide an initial roadmap for how organizations can develop their audiences through streaming digital performances,” said Steve Jacobson, Founder and CEO of JCA. “We look forward to doing more in-depth analysis to help the arts sector bridge the gap until audiences return in person.”
For more than 30 years, JCA has helped more than 2,000 nonprofits leverage their CRM technology, processes, and data. As the first and largest independent consulting firm dedicated solely to the technical and operational needs of nonprofits, JCA helps organizations increase revenue, optimize operations, and build lasting relationships with audiences by improving their relationship with technology. Learn more at jcainc.com.
JCA ARTS MARKETING
A division of JCA, JCA Arts Marketing collaborates with cultural organizations to increase revenue, boost attendance, and grow patron value. JCA Arts Marketing provides consulting and software services to institutions, including: museums, dance companies, opera companies, performing arts centers, symphonies, and theatres. Learn more at jcainc.com/artsmarketing.